Dear Clients, Families, Partners and Supporters,
As the global effect of coronavirus (COVID-19) intensifies, we remain firmly committed to the health and safety of our clients, staff and community. At this time, we are extending the suspension of many of our programs and services until further notice, in line with the Governor’s statewide safety measures.
These programs include:
We will continue to provide essential in-home services to individuals we serve in Residential, Supported Living, and Behavioral Support Services. Personal Supports and Employment Services (for human services clients) are being provided on a limited basis only. We are also pursuing alternative service models that may allow us to reinstate some of our programming through remote training and telehealth services.
- Gerwig (Columbia) Day Program
- Baltimore City Day Program
- Woodside Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program (PRP)
- Woodside Deaf Services
- Youth Transition Services (SOS, STEP, SCC, WBLE, W2W)
- Adult Workforce Development and Employment Services
- Transportation Services
As many of you may know, the nonprofit sector has been hit especially hard during this crisis. It is disrupting our economy and causing pain for both the people we employ and the vulnerable populations we serve. We realize the enormous impact that the absence of our services has had in our community and we look forward to restoring these services as soon as it is safe and practical.
As we face this unprecedented public health crisis, we need your help to continue providing essential, uncompromising services to our community and those we serve. Your contributions are vital to sustaining our services during this time.
The federal government’s new COVID-19 Stimulus bill, the “Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES),” provides additional tax incentives for those who want to increase their charitable giving during this time (more info. below).
Across the community, we see inspiring displays of generosity and commitment by people determined to help others. We must remember that we are all in this together and we will get through this together. At Humanim, we remain steadfastly committed to our mission of supporting and empowering individuals who face social or economic challenges — by building pathways to economic equity, opportunity, and independence.
We hope that all of you and your loved ones are safe and well.
Thank you so much for your continued support and partnership.
Charitable Contribution Provisions in the COVID-19 Stimulus Bill
Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES)
- There is a new above-the-line deduction available for up to $300 in annual charitable contributions in cash to a qualified charity, for people who do NOT itemize their deductions (contribution is subtracted from gross income).
- Prior to the CARES Act, an individual’s deduction for cash contributions to public charities generally was limited to 60% of the individual’s adjusted gross income. The CARES Act increases the deductible amount for an individual’s contribution in 2020 to a qualified public charity to 100% of the individual’s adjusted gross income.
- The COVID-19 Stimulus Bill charitable contribution provisions apply only to cash donations to qualified public charities; they do not apply to private foundations or donor advised funds. To constitute a qualified contribution, the contribution must be made during the 2020 calendar year regardless of whether the taxpayer’s taxable year is the calendar year.
- Corporations can deduct charitable contributions up to 25 percent of taxable income, up from 10 percent previously.
This information is not intended to provide legal or accounting advice, or to address specific situations. Please consult with your legal or tax advisor for specific advice and additional information.
Food Delivery Services & Care Packages
Humanim social enterprise City Seeds is continuing to provide essential food delivery services to vulnerable populations, service providers, and essential and first responder personnel during this time. If you know of any organizations or service providers who could benefit from this resource, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Others who simply want to support these efforts can order from City Seeds’ Takeout Menu here: https://cityseeds.square.site
Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of COVID-19 Community Resources